Monday, April 7, 2008

ItFR, and something to behold

I closed off work on the two areas this weekend that will represent the Twisted Tower of Ashaba in Shadowdale (thanks Hugie and Dirtywick for the info about it). I’ll be polishing the ambient life of the keep in the near future, namely the keep staff and servants who will be busying themselves about it.

The Twisted Tower of Ashaba will be the starting area in Into the Forgotten Realms.

Here are a few of the minor NPCs the player will encounter in the Tower:

Father Hargreaves, the aging former adventurer who now takes care of the spiritual needs of the keep’s inhabitants, and ministers to the less fortunate in the town of Shadowdale. He will give his blessing and gratitude to you if you bring him back some artefact from Cormanthor that could help him in his work.



Azalar Falconhand, the recently named successor of Mourngrym Amcathra as Lord of Shadowdale, who holds deep in his heart his responsibility to maintain the peace in Shadowdale and the Dalelands. The people, he earnestly feels, have suffered enough. But the burden of his office are already showing in the lines of his youthful face. He will give you your main mission.



Basil and Hardy, the clerks in the keep’s stores, from whom you will be able to get some supplies before setting off for Cormanthor. The former clerks were killed in the recent Zhentarim/Drow invasion of Shadowdale, and the keep’s seneschal was unfortunately not able to find more competent replacements. (More on Basil and Hardy in another post probably.)



And lastly, the young maids Hortense and Astrid, watched over by the keep’s matron, Garny. Hortense and Astrid have never left Shadowdale and wish they could come with you on your grand adventure.




Now, most of you are aware I’m sure of the new Beholder that just came out. I just want to tip my hat off to Jonny Ree and the Bouncy Rock gang as well as Dirtywick, not only for bringing to us something wonderful and much needed, but also for creating something that really got the NWN2 community excited (me included!). It was a great 7 days watching this happen! Congratulations on the remarkable achievement guys.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This project looks very good, and I am looking forward to playing it.

BTW, any news on NiN part II? Is it dead, or are we going to see something?

Tauschitz

EC said...

Thanks for your interest in our projects Tauschitz!

NHIN2 is definitely not dead. Jackyo123 has been excessively busy with personal, family, and professional responsibilities these past several months and development has slowed down considerably. But it is still most definitely on. The mod is actually in the later stages of production, going through late alpha runs, debugging and polishing.

Wyrin said...

I'm reading Shadowdale, the first book in the Avatar trilogy again at the moment.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic screen shots! :)

And thank you for the "Beholder" shout.

Liso

SirChet said...

Looks great!
Careful now, I think your talent is showing.

EC said...

@Wyrin: Thanks for the good word. Good reading! Dont' hesitate to tell me if there's anything in those books I should take into account (though I understand they take place in the recent past. ItFR takes place in the mid 1370's DR, more or less current time as far as I can figure.)

@Liso: Thanks for dropping by! Glad you like the screens. Comments like that help me keep going with a bigger smile that's for sure! :)

@Sirchet: Oops, I should pull my pants up then. ;P Thanks for the good word, my friend. I'm glad you're around! :)

Frank Perez said...

Excellent screenies. I'm not a fan of your image hosting site with its penchant for insidiously popping up ads, but the quality of your screenshots made me want to wade through the pop ups anyway. :)

EC said...

Thanks Frank! I'm very happy you like the look I am going for.

Sorry for the offsite pic hosting. I just wasn't able to upload my images directly to Blogger that day and had to go that way.

I'm always happy to see a new face come around these parts. I hope you'll swing by again. :)